Students and their eligible family members are offered student medical insurance options underwritten by the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Health Plan.
It is the policy of the University of Pittsburgh that all international students must carry medical health insurance while a student at the University. International students have the option to purchase a University sponsored plan or provide evidence of private health insurance coverage.
The University of Pittsburgh makes insurance programs available to:
You have the option of enrolling in the University sponsored programs or electing any coverage that you may be able to obtain on your own.
These affordable plans offer a variety of coverage, including:
- Coverage for all types of illnesses and injuries, including sports and exercise injuries, whether or not incurred “in-area” or “out-of-area” while traveling or during extended off-campus periods.
- Preventative care, along with resources for full scale online health promotion.
Please carefully review your current coverage to determine if it is suitable on campus. If you are a dependent student who is under a parent’s coverage, please review that policy for geographic and/or age limitations. Some policies restrict out-of-area coverage to just emergencies.
The programs are competitively priced based on the University’s group claim’s experience. All medical programs are compliant with the provisions of the federal government’s health care reform legislation.
All medical plans feature:
- Preventive services with no out-of-pocket costs
- A broad range of services that have a flat co-payment at the point of service
- Prescription drug coverage
Details of each plan’s coverages may be found by clicking on the menu items on the right side of this page.
Enrollment in coverage is handled through an online service provided by eBenefits, a Division of UPMC Health Plan. Options are also available to elect dental and vision coverages.
How to Enroll
- Go to my.pitt.edu
- Enter your University username and password
- Select the "My Resources" tab
- Select "Student Health Insurance" on the drop down menu
- Select "Student Health Insurance" on the “My Pitt” page and continue through the online enrollment and payment process. Payment can be made on a monthly, recurring basis via a credit card, debit card, or through a checking or savings account.
- As part of the enrollment process, international students will be required to attest to having other U.S. based medical insurance coverage or enroll through a University sponsored program.
- Students who hold an academic appointment should select the $0 payment option. If this is not available, then they should not enroll in health insurance and contact their academic department.