Pitt’s Staff Classification System (SCS) is designed to help attract, retain, and motivate qualified individuals by providing salaries that reflect internal equity, external competitiveness, and individual performance. SCS establishes:
- A classification system for all classified staff positions within the University, excluding executive-level positions.
- A pay range for each position that will result in equitable treatment of employees and assist in attracting and retaining qualified personnel.
- Support for human resources planning through performance review, development programs, and other programs.
The system is based on the following:
- A job description for each position, which is completed by the employee and approved by the supervisor, department head, and division head and is maintained in a master file by the Office of Human Resources.
- Analysis and classification of positions in accordance with a series of factors which collectively measure qualifications, authority, and responsibility for each position.
- Assignment of classified positions to established pay grades and pay ranges.
- Guidelines and procedures relating to salary administration and other personnel changes.
- A process whereby those in positions covered by this system may request a review, through their supervisor, of their position assignments.